« Articles History of Playing Cards Gallery of Playing Cards Card Games Rules CONTACT

Why Al is Better than You in Poker?

Poker has long been seen as an art rather than a science, where the human mind and readiness to act fast, are the main essential elements to place a win. So, while you may think that nobody or nothing could ever master this game the way humans do, Artificial Intelligence (AI) has come to prove you wrong. The latest scientific advancements in Artificial Intelligence have allowed robots to play Poker just like you do, that is right, even with bluffing, feigning aggression and manipulating their opponents, yet their tactical thinking goes far beyond the human capabilities, making them the real champions. The probability of humans actually playing better than, for instance, Libratus AI, a heads-up AI by CMU, is around 0.0001% (with lower boundaries for standard deviation) and 0.54% (with upper boundary). Sorry, humans! Here are the main reasons proving it to be true.

AI Doesn't Get Tired

No one would argue the importance of concentration in playing good poker. But, how long can you stay concentrated, if you are playing a multi-day tournament and your biological need of sleep kicks in, despite your will and the appropriateness of the situation? Well, in general, you canít stay focused as much as you would like, as this would result in making mistakes that would be fatal in a game like poker. And, guess what? Al doesnít have any biological needs and doesnít get tired at all, gaining a significant advantage over you, in case, you know, you make that little out-of-rails move.

AI Doesnít Feel the Value of Money

Once the conscious mind of the player realizes the value of the money on the bet, many things could go wrong: excitement, anxiety, monsters in the head ordering you to stop or continue, who knows? All of those emotions and temptations mixed together can serve as a major turnaround in the psychology of the player, also turning on its head the possible game results. In the case of Al machines, donít worry, they give no care to any amount of money, always playing till the end with a constant pace and with no fear of risks at all. For example, if Libratus has a 10% chance of winning $20,000 against a 90% of winning nothing or a guaranteed $1,999, it will always take the 10% risk.

AI Can Identify Specific Weaknesses in Players

What can be said here? Watch out human players of poker! Before you even know it, AI machines would spot your most vulnerable areas and make moves to defeat you in seconds. How? Based on the data they gather from playing with poker pals like you.

AI Has No Emotions

Both positive and negative emotions on poker players can have drastic influences on game outcomes. Positive emotions of pride and excitement can impact suboptimal decision-making, and negative emotions of anxiety are found to impact optimal decision-making. While a human poker player can have a real struggle in coping with these emotions, AI machines donít recognize such a thing, which plays out in their favor, of course.

Now, whether or not your feelings are hurt here, or you suddenly fear the power of AI machines playing poker, donít lose your motivation and keep playing more. Experience is what makes a great man, both human and technological, even greater.

See more interesting facts about Poker and AI in the infographic prepared why experts from Pokers sites.

By Josh Wardini
Community Manager at Webmastersjury




Articles

Types of Casino Bonuses
Story of Don Johnson
Casino Card Games
Strategies for BlackJack
Playing Cards in Internet Age
BlackJack Variants
Make Use of Gaming Strategy

BlackJack

BlackJack
Basic Strategy
Card Counting
Strategy Tables
History of BlackJack
Legends of BlackJack
Ken Uston

History of Cards

History of Cards »
A Brief History
Theories of Origin
French Regional Patterns
Rouen Pattern
English Pattern
Origin of French Suits

Card Masters of the
19th Centrury

Thomas de la Rue
Lewis I. Cohen
Lawrence & Cohen
Samuel Hart
Andrew Dougherty
Ferdinand Piatnik

Gallery

Gallery »
Early Standards
Standards
Card Backs

Early Standards

Texan No. 45's
Russel & Morgan 1886
Samuel Hart 1870
A. Dougherty 1865
De La Rue 1834
L. Hewson 1680
Pierre Maréchal 1567

WhiteKnuckle Cards

Card Games
Contact

MSN Search